Tabish Khan brings you five art exhibitions in London that you should visit during the week. Each one comes with a concise review to help you decide whether it’s for you.
1. Paul Day solo show @ Plus One Gallery
These large yet fantastically detailed three dimensional bronze sculptures spring to life in these technically brilliant works.
2. Sarah Jones @ Maureen Paley
Dark brooding photographs with a heavy tone breathe new life into the still life genre.
3. Trade Roots @ Kristin Hjellgjerde Gallery
A group show featuring three talented artists on the rise, including Phoebe Boswell’s delicate charcoal drawings and Faig Ahmed’s surreal distorted rugs
4. Maisie Broadhead – Broadhead’s Women @ Sarah Myerscough
A contemporary twist on Vermeer is used to depict the artist’s family members. Not her best work but a solid showing.
5. Marius Bercea – Hypernova @ Blain|Southern
Bright and bold landscapes merge themes from the US and the artist’s native Romania to create an expressionist soup of ideas.