This is the third in a series of questionnaires that were taken during The Other Art Fair 2012 as part of FAD office’s responsive staging of a live magazine. Gain insight into the artists’ experiences of The Other Art Fair and sample the diverse range of artworks this year’s fair had to offer.
1. If you weren’t an artist, what else would you be?
Something outdoorsy! A builder perhaps…
2. Why did you apply to the Other Art Fair?
To be able to have the opportunity to show my works to lots of interesting people, and to showcase work that I have spent the past year creating.
3. Is it your first time you have participated in the Other Art Fair? If not, what was your experience last year?
4. What are your expectations of this year’s fair?
I hope to meet gallerists, artists, and curators who may be interested in collaboration.
5. (To ask on Saturday & Sunday) Has the your experience at the fair exceeded your expectations?
It has been great to meet so many people who speak honestly about my work – this has been refreshing.
6. Can you tell us more about the process behind your work? And what are the main ideas you would like to express?
I have spent the last year documenting the construction around the Olympic site and surrounding areas in East London. I use medium format film and scan in the negatives to work with digitally. I then create new landscapes that include elements of the ever changing landscape can have over a period of time. I am interested in the history and plans for new buildings and sites.
7. What defines something as a work of art?
Something which someone has made, which involves a process or a journey.
8. Anytime, anyplace – which artist’s body would you most like to inhabit?
9. What is your favourite ism?
10. What was the most intelligent (or dumbest) thing that someone said or wrote about your work?
I like it when people ask ‘is it real?’ It’s a hard question to answer.
11. How have you managed to sustain your practice? Are you represented by a gallery?
I work in arts education to support my practice. I also live in a 4 bedroom house with 5 people to keep the rent down!
12. If MOMA or the Tate or the Pompidou wanted to acquire one of your works, which one would you want them to have?
I would like it to be a large scale commission or something site specific which I have proposed.
13. What’s next for you?
I am going to be studying towards an MA in Photography at the Royal College of Art in September.
Interview with Ja-Eun Kang
Keep your eyes peeled for the next questionnaires that will be published on FAD.
To check out the previous questionnaires
with Alberto Fusco click here
with Keira Rathbone click here