1. If you weren’t an artist, what else would you be?
I would be a fireman or an astronaut. Or an astronaut fireman! Thankfully, I am an artist.
2. Can you tell us more about your work and what are the main ideas you would like to express?
I work in advertising, editorial, publishing and storyboards in a comic book Illustration-style of work – pen and ink and then digital coloring. I express the desires of my clients in my work, while entertaining the viewer.
3. How do you start the process of making work?
I research my client and what they are asking me to do. Then I think about how I, as a viewer, would like to see the proposed illustration.
4. Do you consider the viewer, when making your work?
Absolutely. The viewer is the ultimate consumer of my work.
5. Name 3 artists that have inspired your work?
Jack Kirby, Norman Rockwell and Bill Watterson.
6. Name 3 of your least favourite artists.
A bullshit artist, a con artist and a lazy artist.
7. What defines something as a work of art?
Something is a work of art if it has the ability to connect to a viewer.
8. In times of austerity, do you think art has a moral obligation to respond
It depends on the artist, what type of art the artist does and if the artist is motivated to do so.
9. Anytime, any place – which artist’s body would you most like to inhabit?
Salvador Dali. Not only was he an outstanding painter, but he was also a character. He really entertained his fans.
10. What is your favourite ‘ism’?
11. What was the most intelligent thing that someone said or wrote about your
“Internationally recognized artist Peter Pachoumis.”
12. And the dumbest?
Don’t quit your day job.
13. Which artists would you most like to rip off, sorry, I mean appropriate as a
critique of originality and authorship?
Way too many to pick just one.
14. Do you care what your art costs? State your reasons!
Oh, I absolutely care what my art sells for! My rates vary from project to project depending on its usage and for the amount of time they wish to use it.
15. What’s next for you?
There are a few advertising projects on the table, a private commission for a
Collector, and a bunch of buzz about possible projects.